You will submit a portfolio-worthy long-scroll reporting piece that has a 10-15 minute experience time. (That includes time to read and interact with multimedia.) You will use written reporting combined with audio, video, photography, data or other interactives to tell a compelling story.
You must meet certain minimum requirements (see below).
Due: 12 p.m. ET, Wednesday, June 24
Submission: Email me a link. Upload a video presentation to a shared folder.
Value: 400 points
Video Presentation: 50 points
You will put together a quick (2-3 minute total) video presentation of your topic. Prof. Bryant and I will combine all of these from our class along with the mini-documentaries from his class into one long video showcasing all of our capstone work. We’ll watch that live, together, on Wednesday, June 24 at 5:30 p.m. ET. (That’s why your project, including this video, is due several hours earlier.)
The video should be about 30 seconds of you on screen introducing yourself and your project at a high level. Then, the bulk of the time will be a screen recording of you walking us through the project website while you narrate.
Use Quicktime to record these files. If it’s easier, you can record them separately (the on-screen intro and the scree-recorded walkthrough).
Accuracy, Writing, Style & Grammar: 50 points
- Contains no factual errors
- Abides by AP Style
- Contains no spelling or grammatical errors
Storytelling: 100 points
- Contains published interviews with at least five people
- Contains at least 2000 words (about 8 mins of reading time)
Multimedia & Interactives: 100 points
Note: The requirements in this category are negotiable depending on your story needs, but it must be cleared with me in advance.
- Contains at least five photos
- Contains at least two soundbites
- Contains at least one video
- Contains at least one other piece, like a chart, graph, timeline, map, etc.
Layout & Design: 100 points
- Published on a CMS
- Uses a thought-out, seamless design
- Features a polished user experience that’s easy to navigate
- Features multimedia and interactives that are used to break up the writing, with purpose